The Public Sector Equality Duty 2011 has three aims under the general duty for schools/academies and settings:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct prohibited by the Act. By removing or minimising disadvantages suffered by people due to their protected characteristics.
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not. By taking steps to meet the needs of people from protected groups where these are different from the needs of other people.
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not. By encouraging people from protected groups to participate in public life or in other activities where their participation is disproportionately low.
Our school has considered how well we currently achieve these aims with regard to the eight protected equality groups: race/disability/sex/gender reassignment/age/pregnancy and maternity/religion and belief/sexual orientation.
In compiling this equality information we have :
- Identified evidence already in the school/academy/setting of equality within policies and practice and identified gaps.
- Examined how our school/academy/setting engages with the protected groups, identifying where practice could be improved.
- Analysed our effectiveness in terms of equality
The Brooke Weston Trust Equality Policy can be found here.